Friday 23 May 2008

The Case - Evaluation

After finishing my 6 minute short film I am extremely disappointed in the final product, although I think that some of the shots are to a decent standard and the editing is acceptable the overall feel and direction the film went was completely off track due to actor problems, Unfortunatly I had to change my story in the final stages of completing the project, this proved very difficult indeed and involved me trying to think on the spot as to what to do. This really affected my film.

On top of this I had around 60-70 mins of footage on essentially was around a 30-50 second scene this made editing a nightmare but has also proven to learn me a great deal in AV. I find that I am way to analytical on the overal composition and look of a film and this has defintly compromised my film. I should have concentrated more on the actual story and characters than the aesthetic feel of the film, I've learnt that sometimes its absolutely necessary to cut a shot that looks brilliant but does nothing for the film. Getting this balance right is essential, it just turns out that I am way to fussy over the look of things. I have this trouble when creating anything visual such as production documents, dvd menus etc. anything that is out of line or compositionally looks wrong I will spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to get it to look perfect rather than concentrate on the actual work, thus affecting my work. This is something I certainly need to overcome.

Although this project has been the most difficult thing I have ever done, I would say its been a huge learning experience. It's made me realize that I have a passion for filming more than I thought I did, pulling a shot into Premiere and editing it and see it come together is very rewarding and gives you a thirst to do more filming. It's made me want to get a camera out and start filming because I know from this experience I can do alot better. It's certainly something I would like to do in the future, and working with real professional actors would be a great experience, I just didn't feel confident enough to work with professionals earlier in the project, as my camera experience isn't great, this is something I regret and wished I done, I need to believe in myself more!

No comments: