Wednesday 21 May 2008

Dead Mans Shoes

Recently I watched Dead Man's Shoes, a film by Shane Meadows, I've previously seen This is England and Room For Romeo Brass by Shane Meadows and this one didn't disappoint either. Quick synopsis:

"A disaffected soldier (Considine) returns to his hometown to get even with the thugs who brutalized his mentally-challenged brother (Kebbell) years ago."

The film is very dark and Paddy Considine plays yet another great role. I particularly like the scene where Sonny see's Richard this is where you realize how far this man will go as he shows no fear. The acid scene is unreal and very disturbing as well.

My favourite thing in the film was how natural the characters where and there interaction with each other, I watched the extra features and realizied Shane Meadows doesn't really work with scripts and storyboarding, but relies merely on the improvisation. The film was defintly shot on a small budget and the audio is not of great quality in areas but I think this enhances the film somewhat with the natural dialogue between Sonny, Al and the lads. The locations are fantastic and they reminds me of a few places back home that would make fantastic locations for a film. Which is something that has always inspired and influenced me. It just goes to show you don't need a large budget to make a great film.

No comments: